Overall, my mentoring experience was very pleasant. It was very rewarding for me to provide someone else with skills they could implement throughout their career. As previously mentioned my mentee did not have any technology skills whatsoever. However, currently she is getting extremely excited about learning how to use different technology tools. Once turning on the computer was her limit of technology proficiencies now she is able to create a simple word document, and format a basic slide in PowerPoint. We will advance to other features of these two tools throughout the school year.
I was completely amazed when returning back to school after the break. My mentee came to me very excited about her Black Friday deals. She had purchased a flash drive, a flash memory camcorder. She had also gotten her laptop repaired, because she wanted to be able to practice the skills that she learned in our sessions. It was very funny, because once she showed me the things she bought she began laughing and stated that she didn't know what to do with any of it. She stated that she found the deals and thought they were a good buy, and figured that I would show her how to use them. Needless to say during one of future sessions I will be teaching how to save.retrieve a file using a flash drive. I also see a Movie Maker session in near our future, because she is very excited about the camera since she has a baby due in about 4 weeks.
Choosing my mentee wasn't a difficult decision at all, because she always came to me for anything that needed to be done using a computer. Now when she comes to my room to ask me to do something I smile and ask her to try it herself and I walk her through when she gets stuck. I'm kinda excited about her learning and enjoying developing new skills. I've even researched positions at the local community colleges for teaching entry level computer courses as a part-time position when I complete the entire Master's program.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment